How to build your career as a freelancer?
In the seventeenth episode of the podcast, Aamir Qutub explains what is freelancing and how one can earn money just by sitting at home or any place in the world.
Watch the video or keep reading below to find out how you can build your career as a freelancer which will give you more flexibility to create a lifestyle you love.
Here's the video
How to build your career as a freelancer?
What is Freelancing? (1:10)
Freelancing or a freelancing job is when someone offers her services for an agreed period of time in return for a fee. Freelancers are independent of the business or individuals who hire their services and are free to take up multiple freelance projects at one time.
Freelancers typically get freelance projects online – via freelance websites like Fiverr, Upwork, or even through their own social media.
Another way to get freelance projects is onsite. This works when freelancers have an established network of clients and companies.
How much do freelancers earn in India?
DOWNLOAD THE CAREER BOOSTER TOOLKIT
Before you move on, download your copy of the Career Booster Toolkit.
Use this Toolkit to assess yourself and open up new opportunities, which you may not have noticed.
According to a recent survey by PayPal, freelancers in India, on average, earn about Rs 19 lakh. The survey further breaks it down.
- About 23 percent of freelancers earn in the range of Rs 40-45 lakh annually.
- 23 percent earn in the range of Rs 2.5-5 lakh a year.
- 13 percent earn between Rs 10-15 lakh annually.
- 11 percent earn Rs 2.5 lakh or less annually.
- 8 percent earn Rs 7.5-10 lakh annually.
How much does a beginner freelancer earn and the earnings of experienced freelancers?
Beginner freelancers earn between ₹ 10,000 to ₹ 30,000 per month in India, while experienced can even make up to ₹80,000 per month.
There are three ways by which freelancers charge their clients:
- Retainer basis
- Charging hourly
- Charging on a project basis
Benefits of Freelancing
- Freelancers have the unique ability to choose the clients they work with.
- Another benefit of freelancing is the ability to choose your workload.
- Freelancers have absolute freedom over everything.
- Freelance jobs offer independence. One can do work from anywhere and at any time.
- A lot of jobs offer employees variety; however, working a freelance job opens up the ability to work on a variety of projects and topics.
When is the right time to start freelancing? (7:51)
The correct time to start freelancing is NOW!!! Don’t wait for years to start your freelancing career. If you’re studying and have skills, go and register yourself in freelancing sites like Fiverr and Upwork.
Until recently, everything has said that stepping out on your own, freelancing, and building a small business is the trend of where things are going.
Freelancers and independent workers are the fastest-growing segments of the workforce.
After graduate school, many graduates are going independent rather than working for organizations. Harvard Business Review calls these people the super-temps. So, don’t waste your time and start freelancing from today onwards.
Upwork vs Fiverr: Which Is Better for Freelancers? (9:38)
- For beginners, Fiverr is the best platform to start with. Fiverr offers work with very few skills even at $5.
- Fiverr has a different working model than Upwork. On Fiverr, you have to offer your services at first by placing a Gig.
- When it comes to earning, Fiverr starts from $5 to as much as you can earn. You can do a task for a client at any price.
- On Fiverr, you have to mention each and everything in the Gig and wait for the client to contact you.
Upwork requires some advanced skills before you can start working. If you have already been doing freelancing for a while you may know that Upwork is more professional.
Upwork can be more difficult for newbies too.
On Upwork, you have to apply for the job after reading complete details about the job.
On Upwork, you will hardly find a project worth $5. The jobs are worth more than that.
Upwork makes it clear that you are applying for a certain job with some skill set. So you can get a job if you have enough skills for the project.
How to overcome procrastination as a freelancer? (12:24)
- Try to get it done even if it’s not your favorite.
- If you want to get things done, you need to be organized. Allocate time for specific tasks and stick to them.
- Break down your tasks. tackle them a tiny bit at a time.
- Shut your notifications off when you’re trying to work – to avoid distraction.
Wrapping it up
Freelancing is equal parts positive and negative. You just have to decide if you’re willing to take the risk that almost always accompanies it.
The dream is free. The hustle is sold separately.