Live Q&A: Career & Entrepreneurship
PODCAST # 11
In the eleventh episode of the podcast, Aamir Qutub talks about various topics related to career and entrepreneurship that will help you grow tremendously.
Watch the video or keep reading below to find out how you can create a roadmap that will help you become successful in your professional life.
Here's the video
Live Q&A: Career & Entrepreneurship
Which programming language is easiest to learn? (1:57)
The answer depends on what do you want to do with programming. To begin with, programming is an enjoyable and challenging activity which can change your ability to think and organize information. The fields of Computer Science, Software Engineering, Computer Engineering all require you to be proficient in this activity. Depending on where you see yourself in the future, you may choose to specialize in some languages over others.
- C: This language is the “mother” of almost all (if not all) modern programming languages. The syntax may be a bit cumbersome but is relatively simple and straightforward. I took a course in C programming at university, and it was a lot of fun. This language is useful to develop good programming habits.
- Python: Useful if you are into software and web development. The syntax is straightforward and can be compared to writing English.
- Ruby: If you are into web development, learn this language. The syntax is also very straightforward, and new concepts can be understood easily.
What's the future of Vue.js? (4:52)
DOWNLOAD THE CAREER BOOSTER TOOLKIT
Before you move on, download your copy of the Career Booster Toolkit.
Use this Toolkit to assess yourself and open up new opportunities, which you may not have noticed.
- Vue.js has achieved phenomenal adoption growth over the last few years. It has gone from a barely known open-source library to the second most popular front-end framework (behind only React.js).
- One of the biggest reasons for its growth is that Vue is a progressive framework — it allows you to adopt bits and pieces at a time. Don’t need a full single page application? Just embed a component. Don’t want to use a build system? Just drop in a script tag, and you’re up and running.
How to generate good ideas for a startup? (12:29)
The best way to develop a sound startup idea is to:
- Find out everything you can about the industry where you want to pursue a startup,
- Speak with as many target consumers as possible,
- Identify a common problem among your target market,
- Think of business ideas to solve the problem,
- Brainstorm to uncover the strengths and weaknesses of your solution,
- Settle on an idea,
- Take the next steps towards launching your startup.
What's the greatest barrier to success? (6:16)
- The biggest barrier to your success is fear. Period!
- It’s the fear of failing. It’s the fear of losing money. It’s the fear of speaking in front of a large audience. It’s the fear of taking risks. It’s the fear of trying new things. Fears can be external, internal or subconscious.
- Remember, every one of us has some unique characteristics of our own. That’s why no two persons can be alike. It is this uniqueness that allows us to do something outstanding and exceptional.
Why are college degrees useless? (9:31)
- Getting a college degree is not as important as it used to be because things are different these days. Centuries ago, formal education is the holy grail of wealth and success. It would help if you were highly educated to run businesses and to be able to make business deals. However, the world has changed and having a college degree does not means that you will be guaranteed with a bright and prosperous future.
- Donald Trump, the real estate billionaire and the president of the United States of America, once said that college degree is not enough to prepare the students for the real world. If you only learn and apply what you gain from college, it will not be enough to thrive and become extraordinary. You will lack the practical experience that the real world requires.
- Success in your business and career requires more than just a piece of degree. You will need skills such as negotiation skills, leadership skills, good habits, positive thinking, and the entrepreneurial spirit to make it big. These requirements are what you will never learn in school.
Is MBA necessary to be successful in business? (14:46)
No, MBA is particularly not necessary to be successful in business. The reasons being so:
- Need skills, not degree – To become a successful businessman, a person needs skills rather than a degree. He should possess qualities such as good communication skills, sincerity, and good leadership. He/she should have an inner ability, clear goals, strong confidence level and contemporary thoughts. Instilling these skills within oneself is the best way to succeed in this field.
- Practical Knowledge – Management is not about having bookish knowledge but about having the practical knowledge and how to apply it in our day to day working. It is all about managing ourselves in front of others. Thus, you do not have to waste money to get an MBA degree.
- Proven in history – History proves that management education or MBA is not necessary to be successful in business. Michael Dell, the founder of Dell, did not have an MBA degree, yet he succeeded due to his incredible business instincts. People like Dhirubhai Ambani, Ratan Tata etc. became business tycoons without going through management education.
How to handle a grilling interview? (16:09)
- It is not a challenging task. It is based on the mind and level of patience you have. The only thing is, you should keep your mind calm and should clearly listen to the question being asked and always stick to your conscience.
- Most of the interviewers grill a candidate to understand the patience and how well they cope up with the stress being put on them.
- Imagine a situation where your job requires to handle angry customers day in and day out; you will lose yourself if you are not able to take the stress. And now, most of the jobs require you to be on the hot seat every day be it IT, Sales or Manufacturing and consider grilling is just a test to understand how well you handle the situation.
Wrapping it up
Building a successful career takes time, effort, and patience. If you’re willing to sacrifice some free time and you’re willing to get out of your comfort zone, you will succeed. It’s not that hard, honestly. It just takes courage and commitment to follow everything that you’ve targeted.
The dream is free. The hustle is sold separately.